Subject: The Australian Formation in Doubles
The Australian Formation is for a serving doubles team. The net player simply lines up on the “wrong side”. The purpose is to:
- Cause confusion and pressure on the returner,
- Take away the cross court shot over the middle of the net.
- Gives the serving team a preferred matchup of forehand to backhand.
- Allows the serving team to use a “Push and Cut” play off the serve.
- Protect a servers weak backhand against a strong returner.
- Best Serve is to backhand or into the body.
- Should be used intermittently, or during a big point.
Counter moves include:
- Deep high roller shot to the servers backhand side.
- Just lob the return to start the point, then beat them as the point begins.
- Remember 80% Rule (Keep away from Net Player)